Thursday, February 1, 2018

Once in a Super Blue Blood Moon

It was cloudy and there was no sign of a moon when I went to bed last night so I didn't bother to set my alarm.  But I woke during the night, glanced at the clock radio, saw it was 2.32am and decided to take a peek out the bedroom window.  And there it was, the super blue blood moon. 

It was the first time in 35 years around the world - and since 1866 in New Zealand - a blue moon has synced up with a supermoon and a total lunar eclipse, or blood moon because of its red hue. 

The second full moon in a calendar month is a blue moon. This one also happened to be an especially close and bright moon, or supermoon. Add a total eclipse, known as a blood moon for its red tint, occurs when the sun, Earth and moon line up perfectly, casting Earth's shadow on the moon.

I took a photo but the moon looked like a small dot on my phone and it was taken through my bedroom window.  The photo below from Beach FM Facebook was taken locally so it's just as I saw it for a couple of minutes before it became mostly obscured by cloud again.  

No comments: