Thursday, January 11, 2018

Bike Riding

I hadn't ridden a bike for over 25 years (that's quarter of a century!) until I decided it would be a good idea to sometimes substitute four wheels or two legs for two wheels. Six weeks ago I bought a pretty blue classic ladies bike. If I can't have the speed and agility that my nephew Zak has on his new mountain bike then I would go for grace and style. It even has a genuine woven basket!  Apparently bike riding is a skill you don't forget, I haven't fallen off yet although grace has given into the odd wobble as I get used to balancing on two wheels again. 

Once upon a time cycling was my only option for getting from A to B. From home to school or university or my first teaching job. It was just a means to an end and memories of cycling all the way across Palmerston North into a strong Westerly head wind meant I had forgotten that cycling could be fun! Now I have rediscovered the joy of being out in the fresh air and rolling along under my own steam (I'm sure my knees will get used to the effort soon). Because I can mostly ride off road along the Wharemauku Stream track it takes no longer than driving to or from work, and these sunny summer days make weekend leisure riding a pleasure too.

Pros of riding my bike:
- No fuel costs
- Zero carbon emissions 
- Exercise
- Fresh air 
- Fun

Cons of riding my bike:
- None really because I just take the car if there is a howling southerly.  

No comments: