Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Plant Shopping

Alison finally received a belated Christmas present  from me today - a plant of her choice from a garden centre and lunch at a café. It was very belated because we decided to wait until the March planting season, after the hottest part of summer had passed. Today was a gorgeous late summer Saturday and a perfect day for plant shopping. As usual I was tempted by the offerings at 100 & 1 Plants in Otaki. I spotted a Peperomia Urvilleana, the NZ native peperomia, which I was pleasantly surprised to see was only $9 (as compared to the P. Rubella which was $60!). They also had a good selection of Lithops and I spent ages choosing the 'best' one. So many cute little living stones in different colours and patterns. I also bought a Hypocalymma cordifolium Golden Veil which is a very big name for something with such tiny leaves. 

Next stop was Watsons in Otaki. I was pleased to find a Metrosideros Tahiti as it was on my list for replanting the garden where the cherry tree was removed. I also bought a pretty red lobelia, a Gazania, and a couple of plants for Alison.

By the time we reached Harrisons at Pekapeka we were more interested in food and drink than plants so we ate at their lovely café. The plants are a bit expensive at Harrisons but beautifully laid out in a garden like setting. We were starting to wilt by 2.30pm so we headed home via Pekapeka with a boot full of plants. 



No comments: